I had an idea the other day that I wanted to share here. Maybe it already exists, in which case great! If not I think it could be a pretty successful service.
The idea is a service that rates coffee shops and lunch spots not on their food like Yelp and others, but on their suitability for people who work from home, or college students who want to get out of the library and study. Basically, a way of rating and indexing locations for work.
As social services expand on the web I think those that address a specific problem or community will be particularly interesting. This would be one type of service like that.
Instead of rating and indexing places based on their service, selection, or food this would rate them on factors like:
- availability of power outlets
- strength and speed of wi-fi
- the community of customers1
- view of staff toward you being there for a few hours2
In other words, it’d be a place where I could immediately see the best spots around me to get of the house and go work. It’d be a great method of breaking out of the cabin fever that can happen when you work from home all the time.
If I’m overlooking an existing service that does all this please do let me know as I’d love for something like this to exist.
- In other words, who else works here? What type of people would I be joining to get my work done?
- No one wants to work somewhere where they feel like they’re imposing or expected to keep buying more and more to justify their time.