Reading List is a small plugin I wrote which leverages WordPress’ custom post types capabilities to track which books you’re reading. The code is hosted on GitHub.
To use the plugin on you’re site you’ll want to:
- Download the ZIP file from Github. This link should pull in the current version.
- Open your WordPress Dashboard and go to Plugins > Add New.
- Click the “Upload” tab.
- Choose the plugin file you downloaded in Step #1.
- Click “Install Now.”
The plugin is now installed on your site. After activating it you’ll see a “Books” item in your Dashboard. Here you can add new books, authors, and content. Here’s what a completed book looks like in the Dashboard.
By default the plugin will rely upon your current theme. While this works it won’t create the most appealing layout for your books. In the future I plan to bundle some layout templates with the actual plugin. For now, though, you can mimic what I have on my reading page with a few steps.
- Install Minimal Stream as your site’s theme. If you’re stuck on how to install a theme the Codex has good information.
- Install the child theme I have hosted on GitHub. This uses Minimal Stream as the parent theme and adds templates for books.
- Activate the child theme you installed in Step #2.
- A nice archive of the books you have read should now appear if you add
/books/after your domain name.